Trends In Aerospace Composite Manufacturing
- Use of large, unitized structures is increasing.
- Improved designs and processing are required.
- Large parts are too expensive to be rejected.
- Careful evaluation (and possible repair) is required.
- Current inspection techniques (water- and laser-based) are not cost-effective in a lean environment.
Ideal system has
- Agility (robot-mounted),
- High sensitivity,
- Effective validation for large structures,
- Capability to lower system cost,
- And to move inspection closer to manufacturing operations
- On tool,
- And in uncured state.